With the rapid advancement of science and technology, we are probably the luckiest generation in the history of human development. The exchange of data, information and knowledge especially via the Internet has never become easier, and this enhances the way we live and work, learn and think, create and contribute.
We are also the generation facing greater challenges, including global warming, extreme events and environmental degradation. Modern geospatial technologies and Earth observation, together with big data analytics and cloud computing, are uniquely poised to help discover deep insights and find solutions to mitigate those challenges while ensuring the sustainability of our environment and society.
BigData Earth Pty Ltd was founded by Dr Keping (Kevin) Chen in 2015. BigData Earth is a data science/technology R&D company and creates new Location-centric Business Applications worldwide using Geospatial Big Data Analytics, Global Earth Observation and Cloud Computing.
Keping is a leading geospatial & image analysis specialist and a senior risk scientist, and has been developing innovative real-world applications over the past two decades. He worked at Macquarie University (Sydney, Australia) during 2000-2015, and information about some of his previous major projects, publications and accomplishments can be found at his public LinkedIn page.
Currently, Dr Keping Chen is R&D Innovation Scientist with BigData Earth. He also manages the growing company.
Recent major projects include:
– New R&D in property location and hazard risk analytics: A transformative journey from desktop computing to cloud computing (link);
– Creating next-generation property location and hazard risk information with cloud-based big data and analytics platforms;
– Developing https://PropertyLocation.com.au/ (for Australia);
– Developing https://PropertyLocation360.com/ (for the U.S. and worldwide);
– Web Apps: Developing versatile web mapping, analysis and reporting Apps (link);
– Web APIs: Creating a comprehensive set of Location Profile APIs (https://developer.bigdataearth.com/) enabling the property location intelligence and hazard risk Australian and international portals;
– Web Mapping: Integrated cloud-based geospatial processing services: Turning DEMs into tile maps (link);
– Creating new tools for investigating flood-prone areas in the U.S. and Australia (link, link);
– Developing unique geocoding solutions;
– Analysing the global warming projections dataset NASA NEX-GDDP (2015; ~12 terabytes in file size);
– Developing dedicated image analysis software to rapidly process the latest NASA/USGS Landsat-8 and ESA Sentinel-2 satellite imagery;
– Extracting land cover features from high-resolution imagery with ~1.5 petabytes of temporary data; and
– Making large-sized imagery and elevation mosaics involving 100s of terabytes of raw data from the USGS and USDA.